Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Accordion Flower Tree


My craft space is shared with our upstairs bedroom.  On the way up the stairs, I have this landing that has been sadly neglected.  It has good 'bones' in that there is a thick glass shelf and pretty mirrors my parents gave us when we moved in.  Only at Christmas though does this area get much attention.  Finally, I made something for the space between the mirrors - a spring flower tree.

The video below shows all the types of accordion flowers or rosettes done from chevron and other prints.  I love making these flowers.  I've used a few plainer papers where I did the traditional method shown in the last video which also includes the pinwheel center of one on the bottom of the tree.


Mostly though I cut up my chevron papers.  By cutting along the line of the pattern and adjusting the folds you can do several varieties of the flower or rosette with the same paper.


For the tree, I started with an 18" high Styrofoam cone.  Some primer, paint, ribbon and flowers and voila - a very inexpensive, cheerful decoration for the shelf.  I was happy to use up some of my larger buttons that like the flowers can be a bit thick for pages and cards.

I also used some wire edged ribbon tucked in among the flowers.

So here are the videos:

This is the one on the tree to watch here or at YouTube:


And this is the one on the Accordion flowers to watch here or at YouTube:


This is my older video on Accordion flower basics.

I like passing my cheery tree and a couple of my layouts hanging on the wall on the way to my craft space.  Thanks for stopping by today!

7 comments:

  1. This is so pretty, Lisa! It would make me smile every time I walked past. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice edition to your home... great tips on making rosettes with patterns in the paper! Thanks for sharing your older vid too! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a super home decor piece! love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty and unique. I've never seen anything like it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is such a cool project, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, I learned a ton from your original accordion flower (basics) video - and these two, also. My first flower is pretty good for a first try! :-) I'm sure I'll try at least a couple more to get some different looks. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the accordion tree. It looks just perfect against the wall, and I know you'll enjoy it as you head for your craft room. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...