Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

First Mixed Media Canvas



I've been wanting to try some mixed media on canvas for quite some time.  I took a short class in December, watched a video and then got busy on other things.  As I've been taking the Art Class at Two Peas, I became reinspired.

All of Wilna's class examples are scrapbook pages.  However, many of these techniques can be done on canvas - probably a lot of them originated there.  To dip my toe in, I bought some little 4x6 inch canvases that aren't stretched over wood but have a chipboard backing.  I created the one above as a stand alone piece but I could also adhere one to a scrapbook page.

The phrase for my piece came to me last week after visiting my financial adviser  As he walked me out, we were reminiscing about the good old '90's.  What a decade!  If I could live any time in my life over, it would be the 90's.  He was thinking of the good interest rates for investments, the long growth spell in the stock market and the reasonable unemployment rates.  I was thinking of those but also the happy times from my corporate career (I tend to forget the working weekends), the years of getting to know the man who became my husband, the vacations when we could go anywhere and do anything without complaining knees, hips and whatever, etc.  It was a wonderful time.  I wish I could relive it.

That doesn't mean that this isn't a wonderful time, too.  And this phrase came to me:

"May today be one I want to Relive, not rewrite."   May I look back on this day and want to do it all over again, just the same.

So I used some stickers and a few typed words to add this to my piece.  The background is a technique from class using art masking fluid and watercolors.  I'm in love with watercolors!  I certainly would have never known what art masking fluid was, much less have used it, if it weren't for class.



I like mixed media because it is very liberating.  Everything here is from my stash. Probably the newest thing is that flower that came in a kit last fall.  I also like that I can put things like the flower on there and not worry about it getting squished in my albums.

So this little piece is propped up in my bathroom window where I can see it while I'm brushing my teeth - starting and ending my day.  Will today be one I want to live again if I could?

6 comments:

  1. This is your first?! You did an amazing job. I love all of the different elements and great texture and title work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sentiment. It would be lovely if we could all think this every morning; it might make a big difference in each of our days. Love the mixed media! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Lisa! I so pinned this! Love the sentiment soooo much and it is sooo true! What an inspiring post to get me up and make today a day I want to relive :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sentiment. A good one to start the day with. Like your piece and I'm betting it looks really good in the window.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be much more useful than ever before.

    my weblog :: cop games

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool and artsy! Love that sentiment...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...